Football referees on strike, FA Cup matches postponed

Match officials stayed away Sunday citing abuse.

Match officials withdrew their services Sunday, 9 April, causing a postponement of four 2016-17 CIFA Men’s FA Cup games. Their decision comes on the heels of an incident where an official was attacked by a player and a coach the previous night. understands the first-round tie between Future SC and Alliance FC was blown off in injury time when the incident happened involving members of the Alliance team against one of the officials.

“Referees have taking a stance due to increase of abuse against them by players and coaches,” CIFA’s deputy general secretary Wendy Fisher told via email on Sunday. “Just last night, there was an attack on one of the officials by a player and coach,” she added.

As a result, the following games were postponed: Savannah Tigers FC vs. Cayman Athletic SC, George Town SC vs. Bodden Town SC, East End United FC vs. Elite SC, and Roma United SC vs. Scholars International SC.

No new date for those fixtures has yet been announced. It is also not clear how long the officials plan to withdraw their services. will be making further checks Monday, with a view to provide further information on the situation as it unfolds.

Meantime, Future SC, Academy SC, and Sunset FC booked their spots in the next round with wins on Saturday, 8 April.

An inspired performance from substitute Trey Ebanks lifted Academy SC over Latinos FC at the Annex. Jarol Smith Rizo scored to give Latinos the lead three minutes before the halftime interval. Moments after coming on, Ebanks capitalised on solid team play to find the back of the net in the 85th minute to push the game into extra time. The teenager scored again in the 105th minute to put Academy through to the next round with a 2-1 win.

A first-half hat-trick by Mark Ebanks at Ed Bush Sports Complex was enough for Future, who led 3-0 against Alliance before the incident that ended the game. Ebanks scored in the 5th, 9th and 38th minutes.

In the earlier game at that venue, Sunset FC held on for a 2-1 win over North Side SC. Goals came from Daniel Smith (26’) and Evans Chacon (50’) for Sunset, while Sheldean Billings tallied in the 86th for North Side.

Cayman Brac FC had a first-round bye.


One Comment

  1. Pingback: UPDATE: Talks underway to end referees strike – Cayman Sports Buzz

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.