George Town’s dominant run extended

George Town has won four straight since relegation.

One or both of the following scenarios are true. Either George Town SC really loves playing in the CIFA First Division or badly misses the Cayman Premier League.  After being relegated for the first time in club history at the end of last season, the team from the capital has been playing as though it’s on a mission.

On Saturday, 3 December, the team picked up its fourth straight victory to open the 2016-17 season. Playing against Academy SC’s second side, George Town easily picked up three points with a 6-1 win.

The match, like all other CIFA fixtures over the weekend, began with a minute’s silence in honour of those who died when a plane carrying members of Brazillian club Chapecoense crashed in Colombia last week.

In the 5th minute, Adain Henry beat the offside trap and scored comfortably after ending up one-on-one with Academy keeper Callan Studenhofft. A chance to double the lead a minute later, ended with him striking the post.

The next half an hour was pretty much uneventful as George Town seemed comfortable with the way the game was going and Academy playing well in midfield.

After an attacker was taken down in the box, Academy had the opportunity to equalise in the 39th. Jevon Forbes stepped to the spot and converted the penalty kick to pull even 1-1.

Level pegging didn’t last long. Ian Lindo stepped up to take a penalty for George Town four minutes later and gave his side the 2-1 lead. Another quickly came as Tex Whitelock scored in added time before the break.

Tex Whitelock scored a hat-trick for George Town.

Tex Whitelock scored a hat-trick for George Town.

George Town held a 3-1 lead at the break.

Jalen Walters made a valiant effort for Academy early in the second with a shot from about 20 yards out which was just off the mark.

Sady Banegas Huerte must be rueing squandering a chance to add his name to the team’s list of scorers when he missed after finding himself one-on-one with the keeper. A few other misses by George Town shows they may want to focus on that area in training if they are serious about returning to the top flight.

Studenhofft made a few good saves to keep the game from getting away from Academy but that was not enough against a superior opponent. Whitelock scored his second in the 68th, after sliding past the offside trap Academy was adamant on employing.

After a second yellow due to a challenge on an advancing Whitelock, Studenhofft played no further part. Wanting to be part of the action, George Town keeper Frank Cornwall came forward to take the penalty kick and made it 5-1.

Whitelock got his hat-trick in the 82nd minute.

George Town has won its four games by a combined 15-2 margin, with wins also coming against Cayman Brac FC (2-0), Alliance FC (2-0) and Savannah Tigers (5-1).



In other CIFA First Division fixtures on 3 December:


East End United 2, Elite SC 3

In Bodden Town, Elite SC beat East End United 3-2 despite a brace from Luis Mejia (33’, 39’). Kaled Giron put Elite ahead just past the half-hour mark before Mejia scored in quick succession. Alexander Andrew equalised in the 73rd before Silhuru Shakur’s winner in the 88th minute.


Savannah Tigers 3, Future SC 6

Mark Ebanks got up to his old goal scoring ways on the familiar turf of Ed Bush Sports Complex, leading the way with a hat-trick for Future SC. The goals flowed with Jessus Ebanks starting in the 4th for Future. Ebanks scored his first in the 27th to make it 2-0. Damian Williams (35’) and Richard Clarke (38’) stretched the lead to four goals before Gonzalo McLaughlin Jr scored for Tigers on the brink of the half. Ebanks scored again in the 54th, four minutes before McLaughlin Jr secured his brace. Ebanks celebrated his hat-trick seven minutes later to cap the scoring for future. Dimitri Hunter had a goal in stoppage time but was too little, too late as Future won comfortably.


North Side 2, Cayman Brac FC 4

Guiton King’s goal scoring prowess was not enough for North Side against Cayman Brac FC. Brian Martin, who returned to the Sister Island side after starring for Warner University in Florida, opened the scoring 14 minutes after the starting whistle. Two minutes later, King scored his fourth of the season. Denrick Gayle gave Brac the lead in the 33rd before Thomas Jackson-Dilbert made it 3-1. King got his second 15 minutes before the end, then Gayle followed suit in the 84th.


You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.