Champs bounced in FA Cup 1st round

Stephen Tatum put Sunset ahead with an early goal.

Bodden Town Football Club’s bid to repeat as Cayman Islands Football Association (CIFA) Men’s FA Cup champions came to an abrupt halt in the opening round due to a stubborn opponent in the form of Sunset Football Club, who prevailed in their match-up at the Annex on 10 December.

Sunset FC opened their account early courtesy a 3rd minute strike from Stephen Tatum that left Ramon Sealy searching for answers in the Bodden Town goal.

The champs were down but not out of it at this stage with plenty of football left to play. Opportunities were created, though a solid Sunset defence limited these, and Gavin Reynolds thought he had one on his former club in the 17th but his shot was wide of the Sunset goal.

An energetic Tevon Levien kept pushing forward on the left wing and found himself in the perfect spot to collect a cross into the 18-yard box and hammered it past Lee Parry for the 34th minute equaliser.

Two minutes later, the champs had as good chance as any to take the lead but the shot from a set piece hit the cross bar and Parry coolly collected the rebound.

Sunset FC’s defence thwarted a Bodden Town attempt for a come-from-behind win.

At the end of the first 45, it was level at one goal apiece. Neither side was able to get the go-ahead goal they were searching for in the second frame, including when Tatum found Sealy out of position in the 78th minute but couldn’t capitalize.

Though both offences pressured the goals late, nothing would come of it after 90 minutes, so it was on to two 15-minute extra time periods. After 120 minutes of football, there was still no separating the sides and it was time for a penalty shootout.

After Tatum and Levien converted, it was Sealy who decided to have a go and missed. His redemption came minutes later when he denied Tommy Tuohy. Paul Young hit the back of the net for Sunset and Danu Smith matched his efforts for Bodden Town. Andre McFarlane followed up for the champs and Evans Chacon did the same for Sunset.

It would come down to the final two kicks, with Tom Elliot knocking his shot past Sealy and leaving Theron Wood at the spot for Bodden Town with a berth in the quarterfinals on the line but his shot was no good and Sunset players celebrated a hard-fought win in a game that ended 4-3 in the shootout.

In other games:

Almando Forrester had a hat-trick for Cayman Athletic.

Cayman Athletic rolled past East End United 6-0 in the earlier match-up. Almando Forrester had a hat-trick, with two goals from Gary Whittaker and another from David Connolly.

At Ed Bush Sports Complex on Sunday night, Rolly Bodden’s 61st minute goal was the winner for Scholars International in a 1-0 triumph over Roma United.

In the afternoon game at Ed Bush, Elite Sports Club beat North Side SC 3-1 with goals from Raul Rodriguez and Christopher Reeves after a Quwayne Ferron own-goal gave them the early lead. Guiton King scored for North Side.

On Saturday, Future Sports Club upset Latinos FC 2-0 with goals from Maikel Ebanks and Cordell Andrade.

George Town SC beat Tigers FC 2-0 with goals from Tex Whitelocke and Andres Ruiz. Raymond Jackson-Dilbert’s goal gave Cayman Brac FC the 1-0 win over Alliance FC.

Academy Sports Club drew a bye in the first round. A new draw will be taken to determine the match-up for the quarterfinals on 21 January 2018.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.